Available Data Sets
Washington State Trails Database Project
The Washington State Trails Database Project is a collaboration between RCO and the Washington State Office of the Chief Information Officer’s Geospatial Program Office. Through an RCO Nonhighway and Off-road Vehicle Activities Program grant, a team of editors have assembled an up-to-date trails database using the federal trails data standard as the framework. The database reflects the diversity of recreational opportunities in Washington and illustrates the complexity of Washington’s vast trail networks
How the Map Came to Be
In 2006, the Washington State Legislature asked that a statewide trails database be created for both land managers and the public. The cost kept the project dormant until 2013.
In 2014, the Office of the Chief Information Officer’s Geospatial Program Office began a pilot project with a small group of volunteers and students to design a spatial database following the federal trails data standard. The group received a small grant from RCO’s Nonhighway and Off-road Vehicle Activities program to support the data collection effort and a legislative appropriation in 2015.
a spatial database following the federal trails data standard. The group received a small grant from RCO’s Nonhighway and Off-road Vehicle Activities program to support the data collection effort and a legislative appropriation in 2015.
The line and point features and use attributes have been aggregated and standardized from many federal, state, and local public sources.
- Trails Metadata
- Trailhead Metadata
- Trails and Trailheads Geodatabase Zip Files
- Trailhead Shapefiles Zip Files
- Data Disclaimer
- Washington State Trails Mapping Application
- Use Limitations
Public Lands Inventory
The Public Lands Inventory focuses on natural resource and recreation lands and shows the following information:
- Ownership by local, state, and federal agency
- Ownership type (fee simple or assumed fee simple, aquatic, upland, or assumed upland
- Date and cost of acquisitions within the past 10 years.
- Principal use (developed recreation, habitat and passive recreation, revenue generation, conservation, assumed habitat and passive recreation, other, unknown)