- Renovating community parks
- Building skate parks, tennis courts, swimming pools, and trails
- Protecting wildlife habitat
- Building athletic fields
Who May Apply?
- Local agencies
- Special purpose districts, such as park and recreation districts
- Native American tribes
- State agencies
Funding is awarded every 2 years for the state program and the legacy program. Funding comes from federal government’s selling and leasing off-shore oil and gas resources.
- $500,000 State program
- $750,323 Legacy program
Administrative costs are not eligible. Architecture and engineering costs for development and renovation projects are limited to 20 percent of the total development project cost.
Match may include the following:
- Appropriations or cash
- Donations of cash, land, labor, equipment, and materials
- Federal, state, local, and private grants
- Applicant’s labor, equipment, and materials
For local agencies, at least 10 percent of the total project cost must come from a non-state, non-federal contribution.
- Land acquisition
- Development or renovation
Acquisition of the following:
- Federal surplus property
- Game refuges or fish production facilities
- Historic sites and structures
- Lands acquired from the federal government at less than fair market value
- Land and facilities used primarily for semi-professional and professional arts and athletics
- Land for indoor facilities, except for covered swimming pools and ice rinks
- Land for agricultural purposes
- Land to help meet a public school’s minimum site size requirement
- Railroad hardware, trestles, stations, yards, etc.
- Luxury lodges, motels, cabins, and similar elaborate facilities that serve food and have sleeping quarters
- Museums and sites to be used for museums or primarily for archaeological excavations
- Scholastic and intercollegiate facilities
Incidental costs relating to acquisition of real property or interests such as permits and surveys.
All property acquired or developed with these grants must be kept forever exclusively for public outdoor recreation use.