More detailed information may be found at the following resources:
- U.S. Access Board’s Standards for Outdoor Developed Areas
- U.S. Department of Justice’s Americans with Disabilities Act (2010) Standards for Accessible Design
- Washington Administrative Code 51-50-1101
Overlooks and Viewing Areas
Overlooks and viewing areas must be connected by a firm and stable route of travel and offer unrestricted viewing of the feature or opportunity.
Telescopes and Viewing Scopes
- Twenty percent, but never less than one, of the telescopes or viewing scopes must be accessible.
- Surface conditions around the scope must meet accessible requirements including being served by an accessible route of travel.
Photograph shows an accessible viewing scope at the Grand Coulee Dam visitor center.